I used to love Christmas when I was a kid. Especially when I went to Kindergarten back in Germany.
We used to do a lot of fun activities during December and baking Christmas cookies was one of them.
Through out this month, I am going to make a few of my favourite German Christmas cookies and first up is Vanillekipferl.
To make about 40 Vanillekipferl, you will need the following:
- 250g flour
- 210g butter
- 100g ground almonds
- 80g sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar*
- 1/2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and knead them together with your hands. (Make sure you knead the dough thoroughly)
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave it in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Once the 30 minutes are over, roll out the dough and make tiny dough balls
- Preheat the oven to 175°C
- Make moon crescent shapes out of the dough balls
- Arrange the Vanillekipferl on a baking tray with baking paper
- Bake for 20 minutes
- While the cookies are baking in the oven, sieve the icing sugar and vanilla sugar together
- Once the cookies are baked, cool the cookies for 3 minutes
- Once cooled properly, coat the cookies with the sugar mix
Try this recipe out yourself, and let me know what you think!